Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Meet the Meat Biz

Today, I started to write about one of my jobs, my part-time job, just to give you an idea about what I do for a living. I had a full paragraph and started thinking, "Maybe I shouldn't." I've been hearing so much about people being fired because they write about their jobs and I don't want to be one of those people. It's a shame really when you think about it. It's almost like having no freedom of speech. I wasn't going to write anything negative, I just simply wanted to talk about it. I was going to explain some details and good points I enjoy about it, but at the same time, I don't want to offend my other place of employment so, I guess I'd better not. Call me paranoid.....

I can say this. I have alot of interaction with the public, and dealing with the public can have it's ups and downs. Consumers are the most important part of keeping a business going so their happiness is the primary goal. I'm pretty good with customers, even the ones that are having a bad day and seem to be looking to lash out at someone. I just treat them as I would want to be treated, with kindness. The majority of the time, they walk away with a smile but there are those times when you just can't make them happy. You can't please everyone. Although I try.

All in all it pays the bills so I'm not complaining. It also helps that I enjoy what I do. I guess I should after 18 years of doing it. Sometimes I sit back and think of the many changes I've seen in the years of the retail meat industry. I often hear the veteran journeyman meatcutters, who've been in the business for 30+ years, talking about the past. The way things used to be. How the many different changes over the years are affecting the success of the industry.

For instance; Hanging beef, which was a thing of the past when I came aboard, was the primary way that meat was brought into the stores and processed. I can only imagine the amount of hard work and sweat that the employees put in to process meat products for consumption. Now, most meat comes in cases or boxes, (boxed beef,pork etc...) already cut and cry-o-vac sealed in sections(chuck, rib, shortloin, round etc...) It still requires the hands of a skilled professional journeyman meatcutter to cut the meat into steaks, roasts, chops etc....And the boxes of meat are pretty heavy at times, sometimes 80+ lbs. I have great respect for these men and women. It is not an easy job as so many think. TRUST ME!!

I do wish that consumers were more educated when shopping for meat. It would be a tremendous help. Many times, customers want something special cut, we'll say for instance, some steaks. That's not a problem. The problem is that when a customer asks for something, they don't realize the procedure that has to happen in order to get what they want. Many times people are very impatient and expect you to walk into the cutting room and come right back out within 5 mins. with their order. I don't blame the consumer because they simply do not know what actions have to be taken in order to serve them. That's why I always suggest that they finish their shopping and come back.
I've noticed that alot of people learn most of their cooking skills from watching different cooking shows. I enjoy watching them as well and learn many great recipes and time saving tips. There's only a couple things I disagree with on these shows. First, let me say this, The chefs/cooks hosting the many different shows are very skillful and have a great deal of knowledge in their respected field. And the consumers who watch the shows are hanging on to every word, making their lists for the grocery stores. This is where the problems begin. I guess you can call it a lack of communication maybe. Anyway, every so often a customer will come in to the store and ask for a steak to be cut a certain number of inches thick. They also want it to weigh a certain amount. This is something that is normally just not feasible. A steak can be cut 2 or 3 inches thick, or however you want it, but it's next to impossible to get that same steak to weigh say.....1 or 1 1/2 lbs. There's simply no such animal. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knockin' the chefs, it's just that when a recipe is created, everything needs to be tested to make sure that it can actually be done. Perhaps a more in depth class involving meat cutting procedures is in order for the culinary arts. Just a suggestion......don't shoot me.

Okay, so I wound up talking alittle bit about the work environment that surrounds me....big deal. And now I'm gonna have some breakfast. hmmmmmmmm maybe some steak and eggs...ha-ha.

3 Comments:

Blogger rhein said...

how would work even know that you were writing about IT, to fire you?

5:58 AM, August 18, 2005  
Blogger Zeppelinlady said...

I don't know, but I do remember a news story about some people losing their jobs for speaking their minds on here.

3:45 PM, August 18, 2005  
Blogger Abreu, Jorge said...

Oh, zep lady I'm sure those folks said some pretty awful things to get to that point u know. Like maybe leaking out company names and strategies. Dig your peice. People can be so "doy." I've recently taken up the hobby of cooking. I watch some shows but find that u really learn when yoo just do it...

9:36 AM, August 24, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home