Thursday, March 16, 2006

On the Eve 'o' St. Pats

Tonight is the eve' before St. Patricks Day, hence the green colored font. Today is also a day i remember in a cheerful yet sad way as well. On this day, my father who is deceased now, was born in 1933. He would have been 73 yrs. old today. The real oddity of this day however; is that not only was it the day of my father's birth but, it was also the day in which we laid him to rest in 1992. I can still vividly remember the entire day as if it were, well....today. Everything from the days prior as family members and many, many endearing friends and associates came to pay respect and say their goodbyes at the wake, to the beautifully arranged funeral service and wonderful people who had so many fond memories to share, to the cemetary where he was saluted with full military honors. My father was quite an amazing human being--such a good man. I still miss him terribly to this day. He passed away on the 10th so he was 58 yrs. old. Just 6 days shy of his 59th birthday. ~RIP DADDY~ *SIGH*



On the fact that St. Patricks day is on a Friday during Lent.....Okay, call me a bad Catholic if you want but i really find this funny. We can eat meat tomorrow! Go ahead, it's been okayed!! Yipee!! Not that i was ever following any kind of strict rule or guideline in the first place. The way i see it is that if you can't follow the religion by going to church, reading an occasional chapter out of the bible once in a while, or keeping up on the activities of the church, (ie. sacred holidays and the like) why even worry about trying to attempt to follow through with the traditional fasting or refraining from eating certain foods on specified days? That reminds me of something a friend told me at the start of the Lenten season. He said that he was going to give up something for Lent so of course, inquisitive as i am, i asked him what he intended on giving up. His answer.......VINEGAR. I had no comment, of course. I didn't know and i didn't want to know..... -Bet that got me some evil stares and mumbling whispers didn't it? But as i was saying, that's what i feel. I do acknowledge the fact that i am of Catholic faith and i really would like to get back into going to church again but i just haven't been able to get it[my schedule & priorities] together. With the way it's been laying so heavily on my mind lately, i have a feeling that things may be changing in the near future. I know i'm in need of prayer-that's for sure.


I'm sure that many of you have started your St. Pats day festivities early. Have a good time and please, be careful. There's alot going on in my neighborhood too. A parade in what is referred to as, "Dogtown" and other happenings will have people mingling about--or stumbling for that matter. LOL Anyway, have a safe and happy St. Patrick's Day all!
" Erin Go Bragh! "

3 Comments:

Blogger DaBich said...

Zep~so sorry about your Father, waayyy too young to die. I can imagine the memories are bittersweet. I do find it amusing that the Church can pick and choose as it pleases when to dispense with fasting days. But I am not practicing my faith, so it matters not to me. I think I shall have to find a new denomination. Some day. Enjoy your day, and don't be kissing the Blarney Stone! ;)

4:27 AM, March 17, 2006  
Blogger Tim said...

I'm not of Irish decent, so don't really hold St. Patty's day dear. Just another day on the calendar for me.

It's really touching that you remember your father in that way. Dabich is right, your dad died too young. But we never can tell how much time we have in this life. So we should use it to the best of our ability and talents.

Cheers zep and be safe today.

12:32 PM, March 17, 2006  
Blogger Zeppelinlady said...

dab,

Thanks for your kind words. Yes, there are so many memories...*smiles*

You mean you can't kiss the Blarney Stone??? *DUH*---->just found out what happens to that ole Blarney Stone....OH THE HUMILITY!! YUK! LOL Have a good weekend gurl..


green,

You don't have to be Irish to celebrate St. Pat's Day. (I'm sure you already know that) *grinnin'*

Thanks for the comments concerning my father and i couldn't agree with you more on your last statement: "But we never can tell how much time we have in this life. So we should use it to the best of our ability and talents. "

Well said, my good man! Cheers to you green eyes!

5:32 PM, March 17, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home