Thursday, March 09, 2006

Hell Night ~ or ~ Another lesson learned......

There i was. Sitting in front of the pc lastnight disgusted. For about a month now, my computer has been really lagging. Everything i do on it seems to take forever. Me being Miss Fearful as usual, figured i'd just wait it out and things would maybe get back to normal but NOOOOOOO...... i finally had to get up the nerve to figure out what to do about it. I'd spoken to a few friends in the past about pc slowdowns and of course with them being "Ultimate PC Saavy Geek-a-trons", they seemed to have many, (oh so many) different answers and reasons to ease my troubled pc woes. I was so grateful that i had some friends who were willing to help me. There was only one itty bitty problem..... and it was the same in every case. From the moment they'd open their mouths to utter those wonderfully helpful words of information, it seemed like they were either in a race against time to say as many words as humanly possible inside of ONE MINUTE!! --OR--they were having (as grossly disgusting as it sounds) diarrhea of the mouth! Even the tone in their voices seemed mechanical or without pitch, almost monotone....and of course i just stood in front of them in a daydream state understanding absolutely nothing that was exiting their mouths and traveling into my ear canals. Although, i don't want to sound ungrateful--YEA, ANYWAY.....

So back to lastnight. I'm getting madder by the minute. The first thing i did was go into the kitchen and pour a glass of chilled wine. MMMMMMM-that'll calm my nerves. LOL Next, I took a look at the clock and the time was 9pm. *SIGH* Knowing that i have to get up at the crack of dawn, i proceed to roll up my sleeves and get ready for some elbow-grease cleaning. I'm now determined to get my pc back on track and running like it should be. I was afraid i had a trojan, worm, or some other type of virus so i decided to run a virus scan....AGAIN. I knew what the outcome was going to be since i do this everyweek anyway. While it was running, i keyed in a question like this: " Will a trojan slow down my pc?" After a few long seconds of waiting, i was finally directed to a page of sites and chose the first one 'cause it seemed to be what i was looking for. (TECHCORNER.CA) It showed 5 ways to optimize your pc. As i skimmed the first 2 sections since i'd already done these things, i found the third, fourth and fifth items interesting. I had never removed any programs on my pc because i was afraid i'd screw something up and possibly need them one day. I've realized that if i haven't used these programs in 3 years, i probably don't need them and i can always download them at a later date if need be. So, after completing tip # 3, i moved on to the fourth tip. It was about running scan disk on your hard drive. I'd never done this before. After carefully reading the instructions and following them i had to restart the computer for scan disk to run and check the C: drive for errors. Immediately after doing this, I moved on to the fifth tip which was to run a defrag on your hard drive. I normally do this at least once a month but i realized that i'd never defragged my external hard drive. I'm not sure if running the defrag on my external drive would have any bearing on my pc running faster but i figured i may as well go for the gusto!

......Two and a half hours later, yea the time was now 11:30pm and that darn external hard drive was taking forever! So, i went to bed. This morning when i got up at 4:15am, (running late) i took a look at the pc and the defraggin' was finally done. I decided to give it a whirl just to see if i'd done anything worthwhile for all the time and effort i'd put into trying to do things i really haven't a clue about and VOILA! --It worked!! I'm proud to say that my computer is running extremely well. It's almost as fast as it was when i first got it. I'm a happy camper now. It doesn't take much to make me happy-- Geek that i am....LOL

FTR: I may be moving like a heard of turtles
in this techno-saavy world, but i'm gonna
cross the finishline--if there is one....

Okay, so maybe there isn't an actual finishline,
just different terrains. Oh, nevermind......Toodles all, PEACE!

4 Comments:

Blogger DaBich said...

YAY!! Congrats to you for fixing it! I'm a computer-challenged too, so you have company. Hope yours keeps running well now.

3:41 AM, March 10, 2006  
Blogger Zeppelinlady said...

hey dabich, I hope so too, thanks. I'm tryin' to hang with the pros but it's nice to know that i'm not the only one struggling. LOL

5:21 PM, March 10, 2006  
Blogger Tim said...

keep swimming with the fish there zep.

Good for you that you were able to figure your computer's difficulty out.

I haven't been so lucky.

7:42 PM, March 10, 2006  
Blogger Minister Scribe said...

The Church of Scribe prefers the use of free computers provided by taxpayers' money.

1:14 PM, March 11, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home