Saturday, December 17, 2005

The Event of the Season

~BACKGROUND MUSIC ~
>>>WITH OR WITHOUT YOU<<<

I finally got some free time this evening where I'm still awake and able to get online for a bit. The days have been long and the nights way too short but it's to be expected right now. I mainly wanted to talk about the U2 concert I had the pleasure of attending on Wednesday night.

It would be hard to describe the event in one word but if I were to, I would say : INSPIRATIONAL. The whole night was magical from beginning to end. When I'd purchased the tickets back in March, I was so excited about getting the chance to see them in concert that I'd forgotten who the opening act was. To my surprise it was Kanye West!! Honestly, I wasn't too hip on Kanye back in March, but now I'm really diggin' on him. He put on a good show for about 45 minutes. The show started around 7:30pm. The lead singer of U2, Bono, walked out on the stage donning a cowboy hat ( being that St. Louis Mo. is the 'Gateway to the Midwest') and introduced Kanye West to the audience--a very positive introduction I might add. It was apparent that Bono thinks quite highly of Kanye, what he has to say and what he stands for. It was so nice to see rap/hip-hop and rock share the stage. I must admit that I was alittle disappointed in the negative response from the St. Louis audience. I mean sure, there were plenty of people who were into Kanye Wests' music. The crowd participation was pretty good but he also recieved some boos from the audience as well. I'm assuming that this is a result from his little outburst about George W. Bush. Being that his career is still fresh and new and he is starting to "cross over", I hope that statement he made doesn't hurt him. Only time will tell I suppose. I'm not saying that I disagree with him but sometimes there are other ways to show things that you feel about people without saying a word. Or maybe a better way to say it is that sooner or later, everything comes to the surface. A person can't always hide their true feelings forever......the way in which life is changing all around us paints pictures for all to see......

Anyway, as for U2, their performance was mesmerizing and the light show was spectacular!! They played about 23 songs--give or take a couple. Yes, I was counting but it's hard to keep up with the count when you're clapping your hands and moving around to the beat of the music. They also did not one, not two, but THREE encore performances and during each encore, they played 3 songs! I've never known a band to do that. I thought that was really nice! There were just a few songs that I wasn't familiar with but the majority were well known hits. Unfortunately I left my cellphone in my truck because I didn't know if security would allow it since it is a camera phone and no cameras were allowed. I later found out that absolutely no one adhered to that rule. I'll keep that in mind for future events at the Saavis Center. - *mental note*.....
As I've stated before, time and time again, Music is truly universal and they[U2] use it as a platform extremely well! They get all messages out into the open for public review and optional responses and to quote Bono, " It really does work." I thoroughly respect each band member and the group as a whole. Bono seems to be a very warm and genuinely down to earth person. And that's what it's all about folks..... KEEPIN' IT REAL.

So, if you've never had the chance to see U2 in concert, please do and if you're unfamiliar with them for any reason, give them a listen 'cause if you enjoy good music full of heart and soul and meaning and so much more, you won't be disappointed--trust me. Yea, I know.....I sound like a fiend, fan and fanatic. Well, guilty as charged. **wink wink**

~BACKGROUND MUSIC~
>>>BEAUTIFUL DAY<<<
......and I'll never forget it.

5 Comments:

Blogger Tim said...

Sounds like a great show and I'm glad you had a really good time.
Me, I havent been to a concert since 1996, sadly. I saw Kansas/Styx at Great Woods and they were great.

Another concert I'd love to see is Billy Joel, who just added a third show in Boston in February, 2006. The first two shows are sold out and I'm sure that this one (tickets went on sale at 10 AM Saturday morning) sold out in short order. I don't even know how much tickets for that show sold for. Oh, well.

11:41 PM, December 17, 2005  
Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

Styx?
Kansas?
Billy Freakin' Joel?

I'm not sure I can talk to you anymore, green. You're way too cool for me!!!

3:50 PM, December 19, 2005  
Blogger Tim said...

I've known that for a long time scribe ol' buy...;>)

8:09 PM, December 19, 2005  
Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

Just remember Tom Jones is all mine!

2:47 PM, December 20, 2005  
Blogger Zeppelinlady said...

green,

You're long overdue buddy. Definately try to see Billy Joel. He's fantastic!! Run to your nearest scalper...LMAO


scribe,

What concerts have you attended? I see Tom Jones has melted your heart too along with many older women...LOL

6:48 AM, December 21, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home