Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Misery

Today was a miserable day for me. Well, atleast from the start until about a couple hours ago. I was feeling rather ill for most of the day. I woke up with a sore throat. Actually, that's an understatement. It felt as though I had a golfball lodged in my throat and everytime I took a swallow it hurt so bad. Of course this was accompanyed by a headache that seemed to love the area behind my eyes and my energy level was at a level 2 (out of 10 & 10 being the highest) at best.
I was scheduled off from my full-time job and normally work my part-time job on Wednesdays but with the way I felt, I called in sick. I didn't have the chills which was good but there's nothing worse than feeling like all of your energy has been drained from you. It seemed as though it took everything in my power--little that I had--just to get up from the couch to go to the bathroom. I really felt like crap. I got some aspirin and washed them down slowly with some water. You never realize how big aspirin are until you try swallowing them whole with a really sore throat.

I figured I should try to get some vitamin C in me so I poured a glass of orange juice and sipped it slowly and then laid down to rest. When I woke up to go to the bathroom, my headache was gone but my body was alittle achy. I still felt lathargic so I took two more aspirin, went to the bathroom and returned to my warm comfy couch to lay back down. That was pretty much what my day consisted of today with the exception of dropping my two dogs (Rusty & Tutti) off to the groomer early this morning at 7:00am--which was also a miserable episode.....

Here's the scoop on that :

I've been taking my pets to the same groomer now for about six or seven years. The groomers know my pets pretty well by now. Tutti, the yorkshire terrier, is very playful and always a joy to the people who groom her. They give out report cards on how your pet does during the groom and also let you know if there are any other services that need to be performed for instance: teeth brushing, nail trim etc... Both dogs normally get good report cards after their visits although with Rusty (the toy poodle) being up in age now, he's starting to get irritable. As I've said before, he's 16 yrs. old and has arthritis in his left back leg and catarax in both eyes. His hearing isn't what it used to be either. At their last visit to the vet, I discussed with the vet, the option of having Rusty put to sleep only because I wanted to make sure that he isn't experiencing any pain or discomfort with him being so old. I want to make sure that he isn't suffering and still enjoying his life. He has good and bad days as far as his mood and playfulness. The vet gave me some medicine for his arthiritis and told me that he didn't think I needed to consider that just yet. The vet's exact words were: " Rusty still has up to a year of good quality life left." Even though that isn't a long time, it was comforting to hear that.

So anyway, back to the groomer episode.....

When I brought my dogs into the groomer, there were 3 people ahead of me. The first man had already dropped his pet off and was paying in advance and the second man had two scottish terriers. (one black and one grey) He was parked right in front of the building in a fire lane instead of in one of the many parking spaces available to the public. As the first man was heading towards the door to leave, he turned around to all of us and asked "Who's car is that double parked out here?" The man with the 2 scots said "It's mine." And the first man replied "Well you'd better be careful 'cause if the police see that they'll surely give you a ticket." With that, he smiled with a slight giggle and left. The man with the scots said "That's the third person who's said that to me now." He sounded as if he were offended or tired of hearing it. The girl sitting behind the desk registering the pets in to be groomed said " I was just gonna say that you have a nice car." As she was getting the man's paperwork together and one of the assistants came out to get his dogs, he turned to go outside to his car and get his other dog and he happened to step in one of the 4 puddles of urine that was on the floor. Of course he got even more mad from doing that. Finally, when he left, the man in line in front of me with his alaskan malamute--which by the way was a beautiful dog, got registered and of course their was somewhat of a discrepency with what he wanted done to his pet. The question was a simple one but it ended up being confusing to the girl behind the desk. The girl initiated it and then made it into a problem.....

GIRL AT DESK: "Do you want him to be groomed the same as your last visit?"
MAN: " Yes, I do."
GIRL AT DESK: " Okay, and we grinded the nails down." <-she's talking as she writes it down.
MAN: " Well, he doesn't need his nails grinded down this time."
GIRL AT DESK: "Well, you had that done last time."
MAN: " Well I don't want it done this time."
GIRL AT DESK: "You said you wanted the same groom as before."
MAN: "Yes I know but, I don't want his nails grinded. Everything else is fine."
GIRL AT DESK: " Well, that's not the same as last time though."
MAN: "Okay, I want everything the same as last time with the exception of getting his nails grinded down."
GIRL AT DESK: "But that's not the same as last time."

JESUS, MOTHER MARY, JOESEPH!!!!!

I'm about ready to go out of mind with the obsession of this girl to feel the need to argue with this man about whether or not his groom is the same as last time! All she had to do was take off the grinding of the nails and charge him for the groom but nooooooooooooooo she's got to argue with the customer. ( a big no-no in dealing with the public)
So, after what felt like an hour or more of standing in line--and did I mention that I'm holding my two sweet little friends in my arms the whole time?, she finally is finished "taking care of " that man and it's my turn. By now she has "an attitude" of course.....

So I step up to the desk and give her my name and the names of my pets. She asks if I want the same groom as before and I say yes. I tell her about Rusty's age and condition because I don't recognize her. I'm assuming she's new. I also tell her that the last time Rusty was irritable and they had to charge me a "handling fee" since he was hard to groom. This was all written down on his paperwork which was right in front of her. At that point, she said "Well, he's gonna have to be tranquilized by your vet before we can groom him." I told her that I discussed that with my vet already and he said that Rusty was too old to be tranq'd. It wouldn't be safe to do that to him. I told her that I'd just pay the handling fee. She seemed to be pretty persistent with the fact that he had to be tranquilized. She acted as though she didn't believe that I'd spoken to the vet about it at all. Then, she said that she'd have to call my vet because she needed papers confirming the fact that he couldn't be tranq'd. I had no problem with that. The funny thing about the whole deal was that she seemed to be getting pissed off even more because I refused to argue with her. When I got home, I called the vet just to make sure that I didn't misunderstand the information given to me from my last visit regarding Rusty being too old to be tranquilized. The vet assistant said that I understood fully and that it seems that the person at the groomer needs to get some common sense. She also said that she'd be waiting to recieve that call from the girl at the groomer.

I hadn't been sleeping for an hour and my phone rang. It was the girl from the groomer. She said that my dogs were ready but they only gave Rusty a bath because he wouldn't let them groom him. I started to ask her why if he wouldn't let them groom him, that they performed any service on him at all but I decided not to. I did however ask her how much my bill was. She said that Tutti was $30.00 and Rusty was $24.00. Of course at this point I'm staring blankly looking at the phone with my mouth wide open. Still.....I kept my cool and said I'd be right over. Before I hung up, I asked to speak with the manager. She said that the manager wouldn't be in until later.

When I got there, her (that girl) whole demeaner had changed. She was grinning and trying to be oh so "Miss Perfect " and I've got a feeling I know why......

For one thing, she mentioned that she'd called my vet and they confirmed what I'd told her already. And the other reason is that she knows she's in trouble now 'cause I'm gonna speak to the manager. I asked her when the manager would be in and she said that she wasn't sure. She then gave me a card with the manager's name and phone number on it. And believe me, I will be calling her. I'm figuring that they wanted to get me out of there before the manager showed up hoping that our little problem would be done and forgotten. Too bad for them 'cause they honestly don't know who their messin' with.....

CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO GOOD QUALITY SERVICE??????? I MEAN AFTER ALL WE ALL PAY FOR IT SO WHY CAN'T WE GET IT? SINCE WHEN IS IT RIGHT FOR PEOPLE TO HAVE TO ACCEPT POOR SERVICE AND RUDE AGUEMENTATIVE INDIVIDUALS WHO OBVIOUSLY DON'T GIVE A DAMN ABOUT THEIR JOBS MUCH LESS TAKE CARE OF THE PEOPLE WHO MAKE IT POSSIBLE FOR THEM TO EVEN HAVE A JOB TO COME TO. ANDDDDDDDD.....NOT TO MENTION THAT THEY SEEM TO BE TOTALLY CLUELESS!!!!!!!

Needless to say, after all of that I just wanted to lay down and sleep forever.....which is pretty much what I did the rest of the day. I'm happy to say that my headache has not returned. My throat feels tender. I am feeling alittle cold and the body aches are still somewhat there. I'm also still feeling physically drained but that may be from all of this typing. lol Hopefully when I wake up tomorrow, I'll be feeling better.

--But on the bright side the countdown continues :
14 more days.....






2 Comments:

Blogger Tim said...

Hope you're feeling better zepplin.

Horrible story that with your pets & the rude girl at the groomers. Bad customer service is never a good thing, especially being unnecessarily argumentative. Maybe that girl will get fired?

People who work in customer service generally give bad servicw because the jobs usually pay like crap...

I've had jobs where my enthusiasm was directly and oppositely related to the size of my paycheck/hourly rate. Plus how much crap does the boss give you that you have to vent on the customers or AT them....

8:04 PM, December 01, 2005  
Blogger Zeppelinlady said...

green,

I'm feeling better, thanks.
It is not my intention to get anyone fired regarding this incident however; I'm hoping that the manager will have a talk with the girl and instill in her some knowledge of the resposibility that goes with having a public relations job.

This is a prime example of what I was talking about in one of my prior posts titled: "Generations"

This young woman, judging by the age she looked to me, was probably from either gen x or gen y. Sooner or later, these young people have to learn how to conduct themselves in a professional manner.(or think before they speak)

I agree that low wages can be depressing but you have to keep in mind that it is your job. Regardless of what you make, doing your job properly is what you get paid for.

5:48 PM, December 02, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home