Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Technological Change

I can remember alittle over 10 years ago, hearing the term "Technological Change" for the first time. It was a time in which everyone was a lot more naive or novices to the advances in technology's ever changing path. The term alone was enough to make some people tense or uneasy, even scared to some degree.
Today, this "term" is a natural part of the english language as well as all nations around the globe. Just about everything in our lives revolves around and is enhanced by technological change. I can remember when I was a teenager, and the carphone came to be. It was nothing like the cellular phones of today but, it was just the beginning of the birth of a much needed mainstay in today's society.

I'm sure many of you realize how far computers have evolved. From little machines resembling typewriters with no monitors at all to the magnatude of monitors, hard drives, and wireless equipment such as PDA s, MP3 s, and bluetooth technology, just to name a small amount of the many gadgets on the market now-a-days. Amazing really, when you think of how far we've come in such a short period of time.

These are all positive things that make our lives more manageable as far as organization and productivity are concerned. And in our busy, fast-paced lives, the growth of technology is very convenient. My only hope is that we don't get "too comfortable." And, what I mean by that is, that we don't solely rely on these machines and gadgets so much that we forget how to do things for ourselves. There are times when machines malfunction due to bugs, defects, weather, and range among other things. I can't begin to tell you how many times my satellite t.v. loses its signal during a storm, which is not very good when you're relying on the news for the storm activity. Still, I wouldn't trade it for the world. I suppose the reason this is on my mind to begin with is because of what I noticed on my ride home this evening. For about 2 years now, I've noticed that the stoplights at major intersections, mainly in the south St. Louis City and County areas, have cameras attached to them. This is going to one day take the place of police officers who stop violators running red lights.(I'm assuming) It looks like they're finally starting to get into the process of connecting them and actually using them. I guess it's safe to say, "Big Brother will be watching."

Just to let you all know, today marks my third day of vacation and I can honestly say that I am well rested now. I've done alot of nothing with the exception of some light house chores and I feel completely refreshed. Tomorrow I'll start actually getting up and out and into the swing of things. I think everyone should get at least 4 weeks of vacation per year or more. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh....so nice! Of course I'll be surfing the net once in a while. Hmmmmmmm, maybe I should do a Google search on finding a techno-gadget to take care of any other household chores, laundry, or chauffeuring me around on my many jaunts while on vacation. Ha Ha, just a thought....

1 Comments:

Blogger rhein said...

MORE than 4 weeks, fursure! i remember the first computer we had, like 8 of us put in 25 dollars to buy one of the first apple 'puters that we kept in an apartment that was in habited by 7 guys and us three girls that regularly visited them, in college. the computer was nothing more than an electic typewriter with a screen and those scrolling bright green letters. yep, things have changed. hmm, i wonder what ever happened to that little apple machine.

8:12 AM, September 20, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home