Sunday, September 11, 2005

A Nation United

Last evening, I watched the free concert on VH-1, for the victims of hurricane Katrina. I was emotionally moved by the footage shown of how a homeland can be completely devasted or demolished, for lack of better terms, by mother nature. Seeing the homes submerged in water and only knowing they were even there because of the tops of roofs sticking out of the water is awful. So many memories, hopes, and dreams, swallowed up in a sea of now dirty, and diseased filled water. They also showed people in "shelters" or places made into such. There was an interview with a young lady who had 7 children. Hearing her story of how they have to live from day to day in this "shelter" is so sad. How can we (The "UNITED STATES") not want to help in some way. No one deserves their lives to be turned upside down in this way. And the loss of life is unmentionable.

As I've often said in the past, music is truly the best form of communication. Everyone understands it. It's universal. And to see and hear the many musicians, artists and bands of all genres come together to help our fellow brothers and sisters is beautiful. It really is. I was suprised to find out that all music is derived from Louisiana. I didn't know this. I'm glad that all of the artists are acknowledging that fact. It's like not forgetting where your roots began and giving back to a place that opened so many different avenues in the music industry.

I listened to the many artists say over and over, "Give what you can." Those 4 words are embedded in my mind. Of course money is one of the primary funds needed for the victims. Any amount will help. However; if money is tight, there are plenty of other items to give. I am going to give what I can and I hope that everyone else will do their best to donate something as well. This is real. Don't think that just because it's only a buck or two, it won't help. Those twos and fews add up. I've got clothing and food and so much that I don't use as I'm sure you all do too. Just think about what you have, as you sit in your homes, and sleep in your beds, and have all of your family members....alive and well and, how would you feel to lose all of that, in just a blink of an eye? GONE! Can't imagine it can you? Don't want to, so please...help our people...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home