Thursday, October 06, 2005

Fall is in the air

As I sit here typing, and glancing outside from my window, I see a beautiful day. The sun is shining and the sky is blue. No clouds, a subtle breeze with a temperature of about 63 degrees. I love days like this. Mellow days, when everything just seems to fall into place. It would be so nice if this sort of day would play out through the whole month of October. Especially for Halloween night. Oddly enough, Halloween is one of my most favorite holidays. I really enjoy going all out for it. I enjoyed it so much as a child and I can remember dressing up and going from house to house, in different neighborhoods with my parents.
It was such a thrill for me and I always had to be something different every year. Big planning went into effect when it came to finding the perfect costume, or making one. My dad would always make sure I brought my big plastic pumpkin(for treats) and he'd bring along not one, but two pillowcases so I could dump the candy I'd recieved into them. As soon as my pumpkin would get half full and heavy, he'd have me dump it in a pillowcase and I'd continue on to the next goody house.
You see, my father enjoyed eating the candy more than I did and he felt that if I'd go up to houses with an empty pumpkin, the people would give out more candy to me. (this really was a good idea!) The later it got, the more candy I'd recieve 'cause some people would feel sorry for me and say, "Awwwwwwww you don't have any candy yet and it's so late. Here, take as much as you want." (SUCKERSSSSSSS!!!) hahaha
Actually, I'm sure most people were hip to the game but since I was a little girl, they cracked...lol
Normally, every year I decorate the outside of my home with "spooky items" scarecrows & ghosts, and cob webs and such. I thoroughly enjoy carving pumpkins( 4 large ones) and I place them outside about 2 or 3 days before Halloween and light a candle inside each of them. Of course I have to bring them inside each night, before I go to bed and wrap them in saran wrap and put them into the refridgerator, so they don't rot. I remember the first time my Bosnian neighbors saw the lighted pumpkins about 3 or 4 years ago. They were completely mesmerized. They'd never seen anything like that before. It was so neat! There is however one down side to all this preparation for the trick or treaters..... Unfortunately, there aren't very many children living on my block anymore so I don't get many kids coming by. If I get 10 or 12 visits, I'm lucky. But, I still dress up and decorate and buy candy anyway. The really weird thing is that if you look down my street, across the main thoroughfare to the other side, there's trick or treaters galore! I'm assuming that most of them are just walking the neighborhood and that's why they don't cross the busy street to come down to my house. (safety first)
Anyway, I'm thinking about giving away alot of my decorations since I have so many. And this is just for Halloween. I'm not even going to mention "The Christmas Closet"...Geez, If I buy one more decoration.....I could probably open up a store with all this stuff!! Honestly, having too many decorations to put up becomes a chore in itself. I really should stop. Ha Ha NOT!! Old habits really are hard to break, I suppose....

2 Comments:

Blogger Mary Anne said...

hi! you asked me about how to put a song on your blog without screwing up anything so here goes....1) you go to your template.... 2)okay i tried to add the code but i can't do it here... so go to my blog... right click and go to view source... then scroll down in the scroll box to the very bottom and there you'll find my code!

i put it at the very end of the scroll box so it doesn't screw anything up. hope it helps!

9:17 PM, October 06, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice pages here. Great information. Will visit again and recommend.

8:42 PM, January 13, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home